February 14, 2009

Honored Heroes

Today is the end of week 2 with Team in Training! We started dark and early this morning at 7am, and 4 miles later we completed this week of training! The best part of today's run came afterward. Team in Training hosts an Honored Hero breakfast, to honor specific people who are either survivors or are currently battling leukemia or lymphoma. Talk about moving! It was so great to actually put names, faces, and stories to the purpose of my running. Originally, signing up for this race meant accomplishing one of my goals. I knew it was for a good cause, and I was happy about that...but it never really hit me how great of an impact just training and running can make! And how much Team in Training has done and will continue to do for cancer fighters, survivors, and family members. So far, the North Texas chapter of LLS's Team in Training has raised just over $30,000!! We still have weeks and weeks worth of training left, imagine how much money will be raised by then!

So once again, here is the link to my fundraising page! Thanks so very much to all of you who have donated! Please, please consider making a donation and feel free to send my link to anyone you know. I promise you won't regret it! Thank you so much! Stay tuned for more running updates!

http://pages.teamintraining.org/ntx/rnr09/mflenniken

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meliss-it's only going to get better! I remember the weeks and WEEKS of training that seemed never ending. The good news there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you are doing something so amazing both personally and for those 'honored heroes' and the others who are out there fighting the battle! You go girl ;) ha ha! Love ya!

davidw said...

Melissa-I work with your mom at JCI and just wanted to drop you a line. I am running the same marathon (San Diego) as well. I still have a lot more money to raise. I need to get started soon!
David W